Wednesday 15 August 2012

I will need to cook! Stove/Oven options

I've been thinking about what I want my tiny house to look like and the amount of electrical needs or other potential costs that will be associated with it, I guess you could say "utilities". Since I've been thinking about this aspect of it I had to think about potential hook ups for electrical and water or come up with a better plan :) For now I'll cover only the electrical aspect and leave the water for a later post.

As it is with me I've chosen the somewhat harder road of researching and planning and have come up with a "better plan". For starters, I have decided not to utilize the propane method for cooking or heating as there can be many issues with ventilation in such a small space and it is costly over time. Potential problems associated with propane are as follows. Propane blowing up your tiny house! Or suffocating you while you cook because of lack of ventilation....scary, and no thank you! I may be over exaggerating somewhat of course...but you never know!

Besides the physical issues of propane, it can also cost quite a bit over time to constantly buy propane and the fact that it is not a renewable resource is not appealing to me either. So I have opted for an alcohol run Orgio 600 stove/oven combo that is often used on boats because it is safer than propane in small spaces, easier to store alcohol because it wont combust, no off gasing and it is a fairly renewable resource which makes it that much better! These tiny house builders have also opted for this option for much of the same reasons that I have http://2cycle2gether.com/2011/01/origo-6000/ .

The only downside to this option is that the initial investment to purchase it will be a bit more expensive ($1500-$1600).  I will be roughing in the opening for this while building and will purchase it shortly after the tiny house is built. I will have a bit of time before spending my money like I own my place of employement instead of just being employed there!


This little stove/oven combo is going to be used for cooking purposes solely. I have a different method for heating which I will talk about more later :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link Brittany! Really glad you're going this route. :-)

    Congratulations on taking action to fulfill your dreams. We'll be following your progress and rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete